Thursday, June 30, 2011

Avenged Sevenfold

Okay, so I am a little late posting these.  My step-daughter couldn't wait to see Synsyster Gates.


My girls were rockin' the devil horns.

I have more pictures of this guy, than I know what to do with.

M. Shadows.  He was sick and ended the show abruptly and early w/o an encore.

I think he still owes us the other half of the concert.


So I am a little late posting these.  I suppose I have a good excuse.  This concert was a sad disappointment.  Perhaps I expected too much.  Perhaps I set the whole night up for failure.  But I have come to the conclusion that Avenged Sevenfold was indeed road weary.  San Antonio was in the last leg of the tour and it showed.  So let's just skip the disappointing part and get to the good stuff.

The Bug knew she was going to this concert all along.  But my step-daughter (SD) did not.  The beauty of the timing is that this concert came to San Antonio the week of Bug's 15th birthday, and seven days before my step-daughter's 18th birthday.  Another seven days later, my step-daughter would be walking across a stage to accept her high school diploma.  Tickets to this show were the perfect gift.

We kept SD in the dark until three hours before the show.  Shark picked her up from school and high tailed it to my office where I was waiting in the parking lot.  I asked SD if she knew where we were going and what we were doing.  She smiled and shook her head no.  I handed her the A7X ticket and we actually saw her teeth.  The very teeth Shark shelled out 4,000 big ones to fix but had yet to see.  The flashing of the teeth was followed by a disbelieving "Nuh uh."

Highlights of the night:
The baffled guy behind the merchandise table had difficulty adding. Initially I thought we got a discount for buying four concert t-shirts.  On the way home, I realized, the guy just couldn't add and we had only paid for three.  Score!!

We claimed an amazing spot on the floor, in the pit in front of the stage.

Synyster Gates was so close to my SD, we could see him blink.  She said it felt like he was looking right at her.  And this made her year.

On the way home, we stopped at a roadside McDonalds. Equipped with a two lane drive-thru, capable of taking four orders at once, I figured we would be in and out of that place, and back on the road home in record time.  This was not the case.  We spent 15 minutes trapped in a lane with a picture of Ronald McDonald glaring into our windshield, that was growing creepier and creepier by the minute.  Finally as we approached the first window, we were met......with nobody.  So I continued forward to the second window.

An obviously unhappy employee handed me a bunch of drinks that I did not order.  I gave them back.  He opened several bags before he finally identified our order.  He handed me our food and shut the window.  I figured we could have been well into New Braunfels if the folks inside the Mickey D's didn't take their sweet time frying up our nuggets.  So when the employee of the year didn't ask for my money and shut the window, I decided we had better get on the road and make some miles.  Free concert t-shirt....and now a free dinner.

Bummer of the night:

The mosh pits were wicked.  And at one point, they were on both sides of us.  There was a lot of pushing and shoving, even when there was no pit.  The Bug was okay with this, but I do believe it scared the crap out of SD a few times. 

SD, having no concert experience, whatsoever, stood still as a drumstick came flying straight at her face.  She had a clear shot at it.  But she just stood there.  I guess she was waiting for it to fall at her feet and figured she could just casually reach down and swipe it up.  What actually occurred was a mob of diving bodies which ultimately piled at SD's feet.  The only part of her that touched that drumstick was the toe of her Vans sneakers.  I think she still may be wondering what the heck happened.

And of course the biggest disappointment of the night was the fact that A7X did a short set.  Their opening acts out performed them.  It was reported the next day that M. Shadows was in fact sick and the band ended up cancelling the show the next night in Dallas.  I know the Dallas fans were pissed.  But I say, it's better to have a show postponed than to pay the amount of money we did, haul ass to a town two hours from home, and then get a short set of songs, none of which were any of our personal favorites, and be disappointed by a band we waited so anxiously to see.

I have now taken the Bug and both my step-daughters, to their first rock concerts.  Some may think it's foolish, but I think it's pretty damn cool. \m/  Thus, I have secured my title of "Rockstar Mom", at least a little while longer.

No comments: