Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ratt Concert

Last weekend, the Bug and I headed down to San Antonio and got a room at the historic St. Anthony's Hotel.  After having an appetizer of nachos at the Hard Rock Cafe on the Riverwalk, we took a cab to the AT&T center for the Ratt & Scorpions concert.

We did not plan to stay for much of the Scorpions show.  We came solely for the opening act, Ratt.  That was my #1 most favorite band from 1985 to 1988.  They covered my walls, their music came screaming out of my bedroom.  All of my music was censored. For some reasons, the parents never targeted Ratt.  If they had taken the notion to put up a Ratt ban, I surely would have taken my own life.  They were all I had.  I'm not exaggerating.  Everything was forbidden.

The Bug has grown up riding in the backseat of my car listening to whatever CD's I chose.  Often enough, it was Ratt.  She has her own favorite Ratt songs.  One of them is "You're In Trouble", which she would lovingly refer to as "The Jungle Song" because it started out with the echoing sound of monkeys.  They were not monkeys at all, but she thought so, and I let it be.

So we pulled up at the AT&T Center at 7:10.  The show started at 7:30.  We got inside and found a t-shirt stand.  We stood around making polite conversation with the fans around us as we waited for our line to move forward.  The Bug got her shirt and I looked down to see it was now 7:25.  Our seats were in the 16th row on the floor, center stage.  We made our way down the stairs and to our seats.

We sat down and managed to snap a picture of the two of us.   As soon as we turned around to face forward, the lights went down and the guitar started wailing.  They started the show with the Bug's favorite song "You're In Trouble".  She was bouncing up and down and shouting.  It was epic.  I loved every second of it.

The show was fantastic. We did not stay for much of the Scorpions.  We took a cab back to our hotel.  But it was an outstanding night.  It turned out to be one of my more monumental mom moments.  I dig those more than I love feta cheese.  And that's saying a lot.





No comments: